The New Year is the time of resolutions and by starting off your year eating right, you can put a checkmark next to one of the most important resolutions. These 3 recipes will help you stay healthy by limiting sugar intake, and keeping cholesterol low. Plus, they are very easy to make!
Vanilla Blueberry Breakfast Quinoa
- 1 cup quinoa
- 2 cups 1% milk or unsweetened almond milk
- 1 cup blueberries
- 2 teaspoons flax seed (optional)
- 1/2 teaspoon of organic raw vanilla extract
- Pinch of Stevia
- 1/2 teaspoon of cinnamon
-Heat the milk or almond milk in a saucepan over medium heat. Add rinsed quinoa and salt and simmer on medium-low heat for 15-20 minutes.
-Remove quinoa from heat and add lemon zest and blueberries into the mixture. Add just a slight pinch of stevia to the mixture if it’s not sweet enough.
This recipe has been modified from the original recipe below.
- 2 cups portabella mushrooms, cubed (smaller pieces); gills removed
- 2 cups cooked black beans, rinsed
- 1 cup minced broccoli, fresh only
- 1/2 cup red onion, minced
- 3 eggs, beaten
- ½ cup plus 2 tbsp gluten free panko crumbs
- 1 tbsp coconut aminos
- ½ tsp ground mustard
- ½ tsp garlic powder
- ½ tsp onion powder
- 2 tbsp minced garlic
- 3/4 cup fresh grated Parmesan
- 2 tbsp olive oil or coconut oil
- Whole wheat buns
For the Patties:
-In a large bowl add 1 cup of black beans and mash with a masher (chunks are OK).
-Next, add in the mushrooms, the rest of the beans, broccoli, garlic, onion, coconut aminos, onion and garlic powder and ground mustard. Mix just until coated.
-Add in the eggs, cheese and gluten free panko crumbs and mix gently with a large spoon until the mixture is combined.
-Set aside while you place a medium non-stick pan over medium heat and add in 2 tbsp of olive oil.
-Once the oil starts to shimmer, scoop a ½ cup of mixture into the palm of your dampened hand and gently shape into a burger. The mixture should hold a burger shape. If it doesn’t add just a tbsp more of panko crumbs.
-Place in the oil and cook for 3-5 minutes per side or until golden brown and a crust has formed on each side.
Blueberry Spinach Smoothie
- 1/4 cup of blueberries
- 1 cup unsweetened vanilla almond milk (can also use skim milk)
- 1/4 cup cultured vanilla coconut milk (can also use plain Greek yogurt)
- 2-3 drops of stevia vanilla extract or just add a pinch or two of regular stevia
- Handful of baby spinach (you can add more to your liking)
- 2-3 slices of avocado (optional but it adds a little sweetness to the smoothie)
-Place all the ingredients in a blender. It’s best to add the liquid ingredients first because some blenders might get stuck if there isn’t enough liquid by the blade. Blend until a smoothie texture.
-Pour the mixture into a tall glass or two small glasses and enjoy! This smoothie is great for breakfast, as a snack, or even as dessert!
A healthier you is the ideal New Year’s resolution, don’t you think? Enjoy!