This is not your grandmother’s ideal retirement community.
Or … is it? It is if your grandmother is really into yoga and hiking, and she doesn’t give a hoot for pickleball or shuffleboard.
That’s from the findings of After55.com’s survey of more than 700 people between the ages of 50 and 89. We asked our respondents, in a voluntary survey conducted online May 10-31, 2016, what activities they want in a senior living community – and where they want that community to be.
What we found is that today’s seniors and soon-to-be seniors reflect their Baby Boomer upbringings and want an active retirement. They want exercise and yoga classes (39%), walking and hiking (36%), and swimming and water aerobics (34%). They also want to mingle! 24% of respondents favored singles nights and meet-and-greets as senior living activities.
What they don’t want are stereotypical “old folks” activities like shuffleboard, sing-alongs – or even Wii bowling.
More on Senior Living Activities
Among other top findings in our survey:
- After working up a sweat exercising, respondents want some entertainment and culture. Favored senior living activities were trips to museums and cultural events (32%), movie nights (28%), arts and crafts (23%), and restaurant outings (20%).
- Florida and California were by far the top two states for retirees. In fact, almost half of those surveyed (45%) reported that they are either already living in these states or plan to move to them in retirement. Read more about the most popular states for retirement.
- The largest age group among our respondents was 60-64, at just over a quarter of those participating.
- Women outnumbered men in responding to our survey in a 69% to 31% ratio.
- Only 18% of men and 15% of women responding currently live in senior housing, so what they want could shape the future of retirement communities.
Full Results: Senior Activities Survey
What activities do or would most interest you in senior housing? (749 respondents, ages 50-89, survey conducted May 10-31, 2016)
|Exercise / yoga classes||39.1%|
|Walking / hiking||36.2%|
|Swimming and water aerobics||34.0%|
|Trips to museums, cultural events||31.5%|
|Singles nights / meet-and-greets||24.2%|
|Arts and crafts||22.7%|
|Educational classes (languages, etc.)||18.3%|
|Cooking and baking||18.3%|
|Religious services and study||16.3%|
|Card and board games||16.2%|
|Gardening / flower-arranging||13.8%|
|Trips to sporting events||12.8%|
|Billiards / ping pong||8.5%|
|Lawn games (horseshoes, mini-golf)||5.3%|
|Sing-alongs / karaoke||4.9%|
|Tennis / pickleball / badminton||3.2%|
|Wii sports and video games||2.8%|